Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Interview with Sneha Mistri

In addition to a successful pop career in the UK, including the 2004 hit “Intoxicating,” singer, dancer, choreographer, and lately Profesora Sneha Mistri has recently brought her unique brand of music and style to Spain. Since moving to Madrid, the versatile Mistri has been involved in a number of projects, including choreographing and appearing in Salvador Calvo’s 2007 film Masala. The title refers to the popular genre of Indian cinema that blends together elements of all the other genres and this might likewise refer to the way in which Mistri herself successfully blends music, dance, and film as well as a variety of cultures, influences, and styles in all that she does. In addition to choreographing large scale productions such as the recent and successful Suenos de Bollywood, Mistri also teaches Bollywood dance to Spanish locals.

You can check out her official website here and her MySpace page here.

She has just returned from Sweden where she performed in the Oriental Dance Fever Festival and she has graciously agreed to talk with us about her career, about Bollywood dance, and about the state of Pop music today.

Thank you so much for talking with us, Mistri.

How did you get your start as a singer and dancer? Which came first?

Dance came first. I’ve been dancing since I was about 7, started learning pieces for pop songs for the school fete. Then I started Indian classical and realised how many styles of dance made me feel so good, and that I was good at it. Choreographing and trying out new steps became a challenge for me. Of course, in school I was also in the choir, which I enjoyed a lot although I didn’t think of it as a career choice!

Tell us a little about your dance and musical influences.

I’m a pop girl through and through, with elements of everything else thrown in for good measure. I love music and songs that you can “perform” to. I was very much into show artists like Janet Jackson/Madonna/Michael because of the choreography involved. I became interested in Prince when a friend of mine sold me her Sign of the Times cd. I then got hooked on the idea of lyrics and meanings as well of the drama of a song. So all those influences together made me who I am I guess. Someone who can enjoy a song but can make drama out of it in a performance if that makes sense!!

How would you define “Bollywood” for an American audience?

Bollywood is an interesting genre because really in the history of American cinema, we’ve already been there. The old American musicals are basically what Bollywood movies are. The word Bollywood comes from the fusion of the word Hollywood and Bombay which is the centre of the Indian film industry (it’s now been changed to Mumbai but I don’t think we’ll change the word to Mollywood!) A traditional Bollywood movie is family oriented, with something for everyone. Up to 10 songs with full dance choreography, stories of love, deceit, rich, poor……it’s another reason these movies are called “Masala” movies. Everything thrown in!

What drew you to Spain?

I did see an opportunity here to bring Bollywood to Spain. Whereas in the UK the whole Bollywood thing exploded onto the commercial market about 7 years ago, it’s just starting here and I thought I could be one of the first to enjoy the wave!

What’s the reception been like in Spain for Bollywood dance and music? Is there a Desi community in Madrid?

There is an India community here and also a Bangladeshi community but it’s still very much in the minority. Most of my students and people who come and see the show are Spanish.

How is living in Spain different than living in London?

Well living in the city of Madrid has its similarities to London but the weather is the biggest difference. It’s amazing the mindset of a person when the sun is shining. Everything seems a lot more positive and less depressing as you can sometimes feel in London. Of course people are still rushing around, but it’s definitely a slower pace here, especially when you go out of the city.

I’m in Brooklyn where the weather is bad and it’s rushed, so let’s change the subject. Tell us about your involvement in the film Masala. How did that come about? What is the movie about? What role do you play?

I was introduced to the director of the movie through a student of mine (she was his ex-girlfriend). She may have mentioned me to him and at that time he was looking for someone to work with him on a scene in his movie. It was basically a Bollywood dream sequence to be filmed in Madrid that summer. It was sheer coincidence that this happened. The movie is basically a story of a group of kids from differing ethnic backgrounds (Latino, Indian, Chinese etc) who go to a school that is going to close down. The story follows their private lives and dreams as well as their lives together in the school. I ended up singing the song for the dream sequence and appearing in the scene.

How was it working on a movie set? As glamorous as all that, no doubt.

Working in film is never as glamorous as they make out. I’ve worked on film and TV and you only remember the waiting around with a few minutes of filming. We were filming in August in Madrid which can hit 35 degree C and so it was a hot hot hot day and shoot. Of course it’s always fun on set as you can meet some great people.

Would you like to do more film work?

Yes, I do enjoy this medium a lot. I like the team work and the process. Of course it takes time but the end result is always fascinating.

In addition to introducing Spain to Bollywood dance I wonder if there are any Spanish influences you have picked up during your time in Madrid, either music or dance?

I love Spanish rhythms and their passion in music and dance. I have bits of Flamenco in my show and I am planning to learn Flamenco.

What similarities, if any, do you see between Bollywood dance and Flamenco?

Bollywood dance is a fusion of so many forms that its not a question of similarities, it’s a question of whether you include this form in your choreography. A lot of the music in Bollywood now is using a lot of Latin, Arabic and African rhythms and so you will see some aspects of this in the dance form too!

In what ways do all of these cultural influences, not only Spanish, but British, Indian, American pop etc. inform your work?

You are always influenced by all around you. As an artist you take in as much as you can to better your work. It would be sad to say that I know everything about my art as that’s impossible. You can always learn more and better yourself.

Novelist Vikram Chandra writing recently about the uniqueness of what he called the “Indo Anglian novel,” described it as a "form that grows out of interactions between Indian and western forms of narrative." Do you see this same kind of vibrant interaction working in Indian music, pop music in particular?

The problem with pop music is that ultimately it is a commercial product and so you can never be sure what the intention of that singer or writer is. It’s about selling music and image. That makes me sound a little cynical but I totally understand the industry. A lot of the pop music in India is very much influenced by the American industry because the kids are now watching MTV; they are very much clued up about the world and so want that to be part of their music. I was in India in January and was amazed at the music videos I was seeing. The quality is comparable to the American music industry even down to scantily clad backing dancers and BMWs! If this is the vibrant interaction that Chandra speaks of, then I guess it is!

Tell us about Suenos de Bollywood.

I’ve always wanted to put together a dance show and that’s what Suenos de Bollywood is.



It’s a journey through the different sides of Bollywood music and dance from a very classical style to a very funky one and everything in between. My style of dance and choreography is such that Bollywood is perfect for me as I can be so free in what I want to express as there are no limits. There is no “typical” Bollywood dance move -- it’s what you make it! I previewed the show last year and it was a huge success, I’m now tweaking it a little (a bit more time for costume changes is necessary!) And I will be performing it for 5 nights in July with my 8 dancers. It’s gonna be a lot of fun!

Do you think Bollywood has come into its own as an industry or maybe more importantly as a cultural force in the UK and the US?

Definitely. I can also see that in the quality of its movies and music and genres. There are some movies made specifically for the international market. The huge shows that they do are to keep the international fan base happy; there’s a lot of money to be made.

What music do you listen to these days? Are there any artists out there that blow you away? What do you think of Amy Winehouse for instance?

I appreciate Amy Winehouse a lot. Her voice is stunning and I do have her first album Frank and bits of the latest. Unfortunately, as an artist I don’t support her because of the choices she’s making. I really do believe that artists have a duty to be better role models. Of course we are not all perfect but we can make better choices. She has so much going for her, and she’s throwing it all away. It makes me sad that she’s wasting her talent. I listen to a lot of Bollywood music these days purely cos of my work. I’m constantly choreographing for courses and shows. When I take some down time, I like listening to R&B, Hip Hop, Pop, anything. I was at a great concert last week, a Spanish group called Chambao. They are unbelievable – mixing Pop with Flamenco. I highly recommend them.

I think I read that you were in London last summer. Did you get a chance to see any of Prince’s 21 Nights in London gig at the O2 arena? What was that like?

Prince is one of those artists that you appreciate more when you see him live. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve seen him many many times, over 30 for sure, in concerts as well as aftershow gigs. I saw him 5 nights last year and 4 aftershows and I took along with me a different friend each night who had never seen him live. I love seeing their reaction after the gigs because like always he blows them away. I don’t think you can get bored of his performance when he gives it his all, although some of the 20 min jazz jam sessions can get a bit tiresome!

Do you get back to London often?

I come back when I need to, every few months or so to see family and friends and if there are any projects for me.

Where do you consider home these days?

I think just for the language, the UK will always be home, although living here in Spain I’m very happy and content. It’s just that being around people speaking English gives you a different confidence and I only get that in the UK.

What projects are you working on right now?

Basically planning the show in July is taking up a lot of my time! My rehearsals start in a week or 2 so I have to start making all my ideas more concrete!

What does 2008 hold for Mistri?

I’m teaching a lot of intensive dance courses all around Spain. I’m very lucky in that I’m getting to see Spain this way. The people are great! I’m hoping to do a tour with the show later on this year, who knows!

Okay, so you’ve conquered Spain, when will you be bringing Bollywood to the States?

When I get a call, I’ll be right over!

No comments: